To become a medical marijuana patient in Florida, you must be a full-time or seasonal resident of Florida. You also need to be diagnosed with a qualifying condition by a licensed physician.
The 3 steps to become a medical marijuana patient in Florida. We’ve broken down the steps for you:
Step 1: Qualifying Conditions in Florida
In Florida, you must have a qualifying condition in order to use medical marijuana. Here’s the list of qualifying conditions:
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- A terminal condition
- Medical conditions of the same kind, class, or comparable to those above
- Chronic nonmalignant pain caused by a qualifying medical condition or that originates from a qualifying medical condition and persists beyond the usual course of that qualifying medical condition
Step 2: Find a Physician
In Florida, physicians must be licensed M.D. or D.O and licensed/certified to recommend medical cannabis. Use our Physician Finder tool to find Florida doctors who can recommend medical cannabis for you.
Step 3: Get a Patient ID
The final step is to apply for your Patient ID Card, which is a 2-part process:
- At your first appointment, your doctor will enter your information into the Medical Marijuana Use Registry (MMUR).
- You will receive an email with a user name and password to login to the Florida MMUR. Then, you will apply online and pay $75 to the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) via debit or credit card for your ID card.
- You may also send a printed application. Simply print the mail-in application form. However, mail-in applications may take longer than the digital application process.
- To be eligible for seasonal residence, you must live in Florida for 31 consecutive days or more a year.
- Bring your valid Florida state ID and 12 months of medical records to your doctor’s appointment.
- Make sure your doctor enters your information accurately. Bring proof of residency that matches the address on your state ID. If these addresses don’t match, it may delay the process.
- In 7 to 14 days after your application, you should receive an email that your registration is complete. Your ID card will come in the mail soon. Until it does, you can use your Florida driver’s license or state ID to purchase your cannabis treatments.