Terpenes, the tiny-but-powerful molecules found on almost every plant, fruit and vegetable, are Mother Nature’s secret ingredients. They’re responsible for creating most of the smells and flavors that you know and love. Terpenes are also a key player in the cannabis world, with many experts believing they help determine the unique effects of individual strains.
You can enjoy the benefits of terpenes from a variety of sources, like aromatherapy oils, skincare & beauty products, homeopathic medicines and — as we’re about to show you — the foods you eat.
This terpene-rich (and cannabis-free) recipe is a great healthy option for a weeknight dinner, with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. You can easily swap out some of the ingredients as seasons change, or add more of your favorite veggies to give it your own spin!
- B-Caryophyllene – Black Pepper
- Pinene – Pine Nuts
- Limonene – Lemon
For Harvest Bowl
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower (approximately 8 oz)
- 12 fingerling potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 cups thinly sliced kale (approximately 5 oz)
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (approximately 5 oz)
- 1 cup cooked farro (approximately 6 oz)
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Shaved Parmesan, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ¾ teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1 ¾ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
For Chive & Avocado Caesar Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 anchovy filets
- ½ cup chopped chives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped avocado
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil with ¾ teaspoons each salt & pepper. Toss with chickpeas. Set aside.
- Mix 1 teaspoon olive oil with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss with cauliflower and potatoes.
- Place cauliflower & potatoes on one half of a baking sheet. Place chickpeas on other half.
- Roast everything for 15-20 minutes, until chickpeas are crispy on the outside and vegetables are softened and browned.
- Remove from oven and set chickpeas aside. Immediately toss cauliflower and potatoes with lemon juice and grated Parmesan, then set aside.
- Make the Chive & Avocado Caesar dressing by combining all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Process until evenly combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt to taste.
- Combine kale, cabbage, and farro in a large mixing bowl. Toss with ¾ cup dressing.
- Divide mixture even between 4 serving-sized bowls.
- Layer chickpeas and cauliflower & potatoes on top of kale mixture in each bowl.
- Add 1 sliced hardboiled egg to each serving.
- Top with toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan. Add extra dressing, salt and pepper to taste.
Pro tip: Keep the dressing on the side if you’re planning on making this recipe for lunch (or anytime that you won’t be serving the bowls right away). This will prevent the kale & cabbage from getting soggy before you’re ready to eat.